Specific Rules Relating to Visa Applicants who are Family Members of EU, EEA or Swiss Citizens
In line with the provisions of Article 5(3) of Government Emergency Ordinance no.102/2005 republished, subsequently modified and completed, Romanian entry visas for third-state nationals who are family members of a citizen of the European Union (EU), of the European Economic Area (EEA) or of the Swiss Confederation (CH) are processed, upon demand, free of charge, as soon as possible and based on an accelerated procedure.
It is not imperative for applicants who are the family members of an EU/EEA/CH citizen to make an appointment in order to lodge a visa application. Applications may be lodged at the diplomatic missions / consular posts of Romania abroad, as soon as possible, during working hours.
Visa applications lodged by the family member of an EU/EEA/CH citizen should be accompanied only by the following supporting documents:
- application form;
- valid passport;
- passport, or ID of the EU/EEA/CH citizen, in the original and copy, as well as, when the EU/EEA/CH citizen is already on the territory of Romania, the copy of the passport or their ID, as well as the copy of the document that attests to the residence of the EU/EEA/CH citizen on the territory of Romania, certified in accordance with the original by the General Inspectorate for Immigration of the Romanian Ministry of Interior;
- proof of family ties.
(*) Please note that the term “Family members” refers to either of the qualities below:
- the spouse;
- direct descendants, irrespective of their nationality, who are under the age of 21 or are supported by the EU/EEA/CH citizen, as well as those of the spouse;
- direct ascendants, irrespective of their nationality, who are supported by the EU/EEA/CH citizen, as well as those of the spouse.
Visa applicants who are family members of an EU/EEA/CH citizen are not required to fill-in the fields marked with an asterisk (*) in the visa application form.
By exception from the provisions of Article 5(3) of Government Emergency Ordinance no.102/2005 republished, subsequently modified and completed, third-state nationals who are family members of an EU/EEA/CH citizen are exempt from the visa requirement for Romania, should they cumulatively fulfil the following conditions:
- They accompany or join in Romania, the EU/EEA/CH citizen who exercises their right of residence on the territory of Romania;
- They hold a valid document that attests their residence on the territory of another member state of the EU, as a family member of the citizen of the EU/EEA/CH that they accompany or join on the territory of Romania.